Did you know that we are made up of 50-75% water? Think about that for one minute. More than half of us is water. That’s incredible. We only start to feel thirsty when we have lost about 2-3% of our water and many of us actually ignore the signs of thirst. Your body needs water for a multitude of reasons. Here are just a few:
- Flushes out toxins
- Helps the nutrients get to your organs and tissues
- Regulates body temperature
- Protects joints and organs
You can see how water is pretty important to drink. We get 20% of our water through food so what about the other 80%? It’s up to you to provide your body with that and it should come from water.
But water is boring to drink. It’s bland. You have a hard time pouring a glass of water and drinking it straight up. In fact, you hate is so much you’d rather just not drink it all.
Well you don’t have to drink boring bland water anymore to get that 80%. Grab a lemon and start slicing and squeezing.
Move over blah water. Hello lemon water.
- Is it good for you?
- Safe to drink?
Better than you think. Here are some reasons why you should be heading to the grocery store and stocking up on these cute little yellow fruits.
1. Natural Vitamin C.
Remember your doctor telling you Vitamin C is pretty darned important for healing wounds, providing nutrients and creating collagen for your body just to name a few things. This vitamin does not get stored in your body so you need to replenish the supply daily. What better way than to drink it naturally.
2. Potassium please.
Lemons have potassium too. This mineral is good for the heart and helps lower high blood pressure and reduces your risk of stroke.
3. Clean that liver.
We all know that our liver has a big job. It filters and flushes out crap. Drinking water is important in aiding the liver to do that but did you know that water with lemon lowers the toxins in your body so the liver does not have to work quite as hard?
. Digestion aid. Lemon water is great for helping with digestion. Try squeezing some lemon into some warm water, not cold, and drink it after a meal. Chances of having an upset stomach after dinner will be slim.
5. No thanx, I’m not hungry.
Trying to lose weight or maintain your figure? Try drinking lemon water before a meal or before going out to eat. It is a great appetite suppressor. You will feel fuller, sooner and longer and won’t eat as much. No pig outs for you!
6. No more sore tummy.
And speaking of upset stomachs, lemon water will naturally soothe a sore tummy and relieve indigestion.
7. Clearer skin.
We all know that drinking lots of water keeps our skin soft and supple but did you know that putting some lemon in that water will help keep your skin clearer too? Of course, remember it is flushing toxins out of our body better and because of that, better skin.
8. Say aaaaah with more confidence.
Lemon water gives you fresher breath so you won’t have to be embarrassed by bad breath again. The sweet citrusy drink cleanses your palettes and your breath naturally.
9. More energy than coffee?
Absolutely. Try replacing your regular morning coffee with a cup of warm water and lemon for a week and see what happens. The first two days you may feel a slight detox from the coffee but I guarantee you will feel better the rest of the day.
10. Start the day right?
If you don’t think you are ready to give up coffee just yet, that’s ok. How about having a nice glass of lemon water while you’re coffee is brewing?
Your body has been asleep and without hydration for almost 8 hours so it desperately needs water upon waking.
Remember, even though coffee is made of water, it will not rehydrate you. In fact, it will do the exact opposite. Do it a favor, give it some water.
11. A wonderful natural flavor.
Put away those horrible drink crystals that claim to enhance the taste of your water naturally. There isn’t anything natural about them.
Anything that says sugar free means chemical shit storm. Remember that. Do not put that in your body.
If you aren’t so convinced just yet, why not try a lemon water test for a week and see how you feel. Can you think of any other benefits of lemon water that I may have missed? Share them below.